Or truck driver.
I find that nothing is as cathartic as letting loose with a stream of every conceivable curse word - and some not so conceivable - to clear the air and eliminate stress and tension.
I am aware that this is not becoming. But neither is combusting as a result of not letting off steam.
"Gosh darn it" does not have the same effect as "son of a &$*#&".
That being said, yesterday I was perusing the various blogs that I link to here and try to regularly read. At one of those blogs I realized that every single post was laced with curses and you know what?
It offended me.
Not only that, it distracted me.
As I tried to read the posts I also realized that it was a clear case of the writer using curse words to sound cool and/or funny and was one of those cases of trying too hard...and that made me feel embarrassed for the writer. Remember doing that when you were 14? So, yeah.
Even worse, the comments that the writer's readers left were also laced with curse words which made me realize that I was feeling like both the writer and her readers/commenters had less credibility. Yikes! What's worth that?!
To me, the writer opened the door to lowering the bar and that ain't how I roll, yo.
There are times when a curse word slips in to your writing because it's appropriate or when no other word will give the reader the same impact.
And then there's gratuitous use of curse words because...well, I'm not quite sure.
The end result was that I removed that blog from my list of recommended blogs and, again, what's worth that?
But I have a feeling that the blog's author would say that she does not &@&#^!$ care.

