July 28, 2011

Deactivate To Reactivate.

I think I may have finally hit the Facebook wall the other day.

My personal Facebook account has about 130 or so "friends".  That list is comprised of people I went to high school with (20%), ex-coworkers (10%), family (5%), a few friends (5%) and people I have never met in my life and have no idea how/why we're "friends" (60%).
Of the 130, I probably interact with maybe 10 on a regular basis.  What's that, 8% or so?

The truth is, my personal FB account works my last nerve on a regular basis.  But I will readily admit my addiction to it.  How that addiction happened is truly a mystery to me especially since I was a FB holdout for the longest time.  I didn't actually join FB until two years ago.  I recall thinking at the time that it was kinda fun talking to old friends again.  I do not recall when it went from being a fun thing to log in to every now and again...to being the first thing I did every morning.  Yikes.

I did notice pretty early on that my hope for scintillating interactions with my peers was going to be the exception rather than the rule on FB.  For example, the people I went to high school with post an inordinate amount of YouTube videos (mostly of the heavy metal variety), oftentimes with a "OMG, I love this song!" comment.  Kinda weird behavior considering that we graduated from high school several decades ago.
In addition to the YouTube video thing, the non-scintillating topics that my "friends" post about on an oh so regular basis are:
  • How much/why their life sucks
  • Drinking
  • Accomplishments/antics/activities of their children ad nauseum
  • Their pets (oh boy, do people post about their pets...particularly cats!)
  • The weather 
  • Letting everyone know that it's Wednesday when it's Wednesday and that that means HUMP DAY
  • Thanking God that it's Friday when it's Friday
Interacting based on these types of things are okay occasionally but for someone like me, even occasionally can be too much.  It's like constant small talk and if there's one thing I detest it's small talk.